BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday 20 October 2009

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins



The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

US Pub. Date: 14 September 2008 (Hardback)
UK Pub. Date: 5 January 2009 (Paperback)
384 pages (US version)
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian













This book wasn't that high on my list, but the library wasn't getting my other books in fast enough, so I resorted to reading it. I am SO glad that I did. Are you seeing a trend? It has to be one of the best books I've read recently. It's engaging and completely disgusting at the same time. The characters are very easy to identify and empathize (yes, I found myself imagining how I would feel in these situations) with.

Basically, 24 kids (ages 12-18) are chosen from the districts of a post-apocalyptic civilization to participate in The Hunger Games, a gladiator style spectator sport for the Capitol. It serves as a punishment for the rebellion of the districts in the past. As is stated early on, the Capitol is basically telling the people in the districts to be afraid, because they won't just kill them, they'll kill their children. That is exactly what happens in The Hunger Games.

There is definitely violence and blood, some parts being somewhat gory. It's these parts and those of how Katniss, the main character, tries to keep herself alive that brings the utter cruelty of the situation to fruition. Some might find this book disturbing, and indeed, I've seen some very negative reviews. However, most of the reasons for the negative reviews are the same ones that I felt made this book so good, so real. 



I will definitely be thinking about this book a lot, and have already read the second book in the trilogy (review to come). I plan to reread this series over and over again, if for no other reason than to remind myself how cruel we can be and how it is possible to keep our humanity even when it feels like we can't.

2 comments:

Ash. Elizabeth said...

great review! i've been postponing reading this book, too. . .Maybe I should give it a go.

Amna said...

Once I read Catching Fire, I was comatose. The book was that awesome.